The season of giving is upon us, and what better way to embrace it than by giving the gift of literacy to a child in need! This December, every 5 check-ins or reviews on Facebook will provide books for children in Sierra Leone, Africa through our partner, Books for Africa!
Books For Africa ships books, computers, and library materials to every country in Africa. Their vision is an African rich in readers- in preschools, school libraries, universities, and community centers spanning the continent. So far in 2021, they have delivered 3.1 million books, 8 law libraries, 224 computers and e-readers (including 650,000 digital books) in 28 different African countries!
They have so many avenues in which they are working towards their vision with several special initiatives:
- Law & Democracy: They launched the Law & Democracy Initiative to address this emerging continent’s appalling scarcity of law and human rights books, and by doing so to further the rule of law in Africa.
- Agriculture Libraries: They developed a high-school level “core library” of agricultural education, natural resources and vocational materials to offer to recipients of its book shipments in Africa.
- French Books: They work with recipients in Francophone countries to provide appropriate materials for French-speaking learners in Africa.
- Girls Empowerment Collections: The UNESCO Institute for Statistics confirms that in sub-Saharan Africa, one in every three children – with girls more likely to be excluded than boys. For every 100 boys of primary school age out of school, there are 123 girls denied the right to education. The Girls Empowerment Collection was created to provide information and encouragement to African girls.
- Books for Africa Publishing: With our new BFA Publishing initiative, they will be able to have books published and custom printed in local languages through partnership with a publisher.
Remember to check in or leave a review on Facebook this month to help support all of the children in need in Sierra Leone!